Once patients are properly fit with ACUVUE® MULTIFOCAL lenses, you can test their acuity in the following ways and make adjustments as necessary:
Binocular Over-Reaction Test
To be done in an open space with a binocular, have your patient look at the 20/25 distance chart and:
- Put the +1.00 trial lens in front of their left eye
- Using ± flippers over the right eye, have your patient star out with +0.25 lens to see if it makes their vision better or worse
- Then, have them try the +0.50 lens to see if that makes their vision better or worse
- If neither the +0.25 or +0.50 improves their vision, then you can consider using the -0.25. Just be careful not to introduce too much minus
- Next, switch eyes and with the +1.00 lens over the right eye, repeat the same process
Using the Fit Guide
If you’ve achieved the right distance power and ADD power but your patient still isn’t satisfied, you should start a problem solving exercise as outlined in the lens adjustment section of the fit guide.
And, consider using the ACUVUE® MULTIFOCAL Fitting Calculator to avoid common missteps.