Facing an unprecedented increase in digital device usage among their patients, eye care professionals are having success leveraging the indoor benefits of the first-of-its-kind1, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™. View the video to find out how from Dr. Keith Smithson, OD.
We talked to hundreds of eye care professionals (ECPs) across the United States about prescribing ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ to their patients – and what we heard could help you address your patients' digital device dilemma. This includes ECPs like Keith Smithson, O.D., practitioner at Northern Virginia Doctors of Optometry and visual performance consultant for a multiple DC-area professional sports teams. So read, digest, and most importantly – share with your patients.
By the Numbers:
- Today, 76% of adults agree they have increased usage of digital screens (86% for their children’s usage)
- Among those with a preference, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ was preferred 3 to 1 for using computer screens & digital devices over the leading reusable contact lens*2
- ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ utilizes Active Blue Light Filtering that blocks up to 15% of blue light indoors and 55% outdoors, where patients need it most¥1
They're not just for managing outdoor sunlight.
Across the board, the ECPs we spoke to believe that almost everyone can benefit from the comfort and visual performance*3 of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ in a variety of different environments4, indoor, outdoor, day and night1 – especially those that are facing a significant increase in digital device usage*2. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ provides superior avility to see comfortably while using computer screens or digital devices over the leading reusable contact lens*2.
These developments – and the benefits of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ to address them – may come as a surprise to ECPs who were niching these lenses for outdoor athletes, for example:
“My original thoughts with this contact lens technology is that it was going to be a true difference for athletes for outdoor sports environments,” said Dr. Smithson. “What I found is that ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ opens up ways for us to help people in ways we didn't know we could help them before in managing light and helping them to stay comfortable in multiple environments.”
In addition, many ECPs have had success targeting current ACUVUE® OASYS with HYDRACLEAR® PLUS wearers as these patients already know the unbeaten comfort of the lenses§. So, they’re positioning ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ as a proactive upgrade for those patients.
We’re all excited when we upgrade our phones and our other technologies. So when you have an upgrade available for your contact lens technology, it’s a similar conversation.
Patients can see – and feel – the difference.
According to those same ECPs, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ offers a number of benefits across a variety of environments4. For example ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ helps reduce the feeling of tired eyes and provides superior visual comfort while using digital devicesµ3,8. Today, these benefits are more relevant than ever. They also agree that it’s important for patients to experience the lenses’ features for themselves across all indoor and outdoor, day and night environments.
Patients have to see and feel the physical comfort and visual performance of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ to believe. This is why Dr. Smithson is closing the conversation by dispensing a pair of trial lenses and encouraging patients to pay attention to how they feel during specific activities, such as working on their digital devices or driving at night, how tired their eyes feel at the end of the day, etc.
After a one-week trial period I encourage my patients to go back to their clear lenses for a couple days to really appreciate the difference. That’s when I get the phone call saying, ‘Oh my gosh, this is the best. My eyes have never felt better!’
There are some features that patients may not physically notice right away but appreciate, such as the active blue light filtering¥1. "Our patients have heard about it, they know something about blue light," Dr. Smithson said. "They are concerned it might be harmful to their eyes and ask us what they can do."
The ECPs we talked to also directly addressed common misperceptions about the darkening effect, such as being like wearing sunglasses outside. “We want our patients to remember, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ is not a substitute for sunglasses. We want them to wear sunglasses when they’re outside for full UV protection,” Dr. Smithson noted. In fact, many ECPs are telling patients to think of the outdoor benefits of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ as a bonus.
So with its first-of-its kind lens technology1 – and some education from ECPs like you – ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ delivers a wide range of benefits that to help you and your patients address the digital device dilemma.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care is dedicated to helping you and your patients take comfort in ACUVUE®. To learn more about the benefits of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ for your patients click the button below.
* Compared to ACUVUE® OASYS with HYDRACLEAR® PLUS
¥ Calculated per ISO-8980-3 for 380-460nm (Blue Light Hazard Function, B(λ))
§ The following ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses have substantiated unbeaten in comfort claim: ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Family (including daily disposable), 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Family (within the category of hydrogel daily disposable), and ACUVUE® VITA® Brand spherical only5, 6
µ ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ provides visual comfort by delivering superior ability to see comfortably and superior reduction of squinting when using computer screens/digital devices, compared to ACUVUE® OASYS with HYDRACLEAR® PLUS
1. JJV Data on File 2018. Definition of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology.
2. JJV Data on File 2018. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Subjective Clinical Evaluation of two silicone hydrogel reusable contact lenses. 6-week dispensing evaluation, n=239 soft CL wearers in the U.S.
3. JJV Data on File 2018. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Objective and Subjective Clinical
4. JJV Data on File 2016. Use of ACUVUE® OASYS in Challenging/Smoky Environments.
5. JJV Data on File 2020. Claim for the family of ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Contact Lenses (2-week reusable) and ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraLuxe Technology using clinical trials cited on www.clinicaltrials.gov website (September 20, 2020).
6. JJV Data on File 2020. Claim for ACUVUE® VITA® with HydraMax Technology. Unbeaten in Comfort in Monthly Lens Category - using clinical trials cited on www.clinicaltrials.gov website (March 27, 2020).
7. JJV Data on File 2020. Unbeaten Comfort of 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Family Brand Contact Lenses (June 24, 2020).
8. JJV Data on File 2020. ACUVUE® OASYS Family Digital Device Claims.
Dr. Smithson is a paid speaker for Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc
Lenses are not a replacement for sunglasses.
Important Safety Information
ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Lenses should not be prescribed if patients have any eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. Consult the package insert for complete information. Complete information is also available by visiting www.jnjvisionpro.com or by calling 1-800-843-2020. Transitions, the Transitions logo and Transitions Light Intelligent Technology are trademarks of Transitions Optical, Inc. used under license by Transitions Optical Limited and Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc.